[mythtv-users] Cannot change channels with M179

Bob Weber rjweber at ieee.org
Tue Jul 5 20:09:31 EDT 2005

Hello everyone. This must just be some silly operator error, because I see
that people are happily using the m179. For some reason, when I use mplayer
to watch video via the m179, I have a lot of static, but I can see that
channel 60 (at least it's the comedy channel) is selected. Changing channels
via ptune gives me success messages, but I see no changes in mplayer.

I'm using gentoo and have emerged the latest ivtv driver. When that didn't
work, I compiled version 0.3.6s from source. Both exhibit the same behaviour.
I'm running an AMD64 system.

Has anyone had this issue? I cannot find anything like this in the archives.

My dmesg output for loading ivtv is shown below. Because of the warning about
a possible corrupt EEPROM, I tried the recommended firmware version. This
also had no affect.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV====================
ivtv: version 0.3.6 (s) loading
ivtv: Linux version: 2.6.11-gentoo-r7 SMP gcc-3.4
ivtv: In case of problems please include the debug info
ivtv: between the START INIT IVTV and END INIT IVTV
lines when
ivtv: mailing the ivtv-devel mailinglist.
ivtv: Autodetected AVerMedia M179 card
ivtv: Found an iTVC15 based chip
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:02:09.0[A] -> GSI 19 (level,
low) -> IRQ 217
ivtv: XXX PCI device: 0x00e1 vendor: 0x10de
tveeprom: Encountered bad packet header [04]. Corrupt
or not a Hauppauge eeprom.
ivtv: i2c attach [client=tveeprom[50],ok]
saa7115: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0
(0x10005)
saa7115: detecting saa7115 client on address 0x42
saa7115: writing init values
ivtv: i2c attach [client=saa7115[50],ok]
saa7115: status: (1E) 0x00, (1F) 0xa5
ivtv: Could not detect tuner standard, defaulting to
NTSC.
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040024
ivtv: Encoder Firmware may be buggy, use version
0x02040011
ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
ivtv: Configuring AVerMedia M179 card with 4 streams
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device for encoder MPEG minor 0
ivtv: Create DMA encoder MPEG stream: 0 x 32768
buffers (0KB total)
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device for encoder YUV minor 32
ivtv: Create DMA encoder YUV stream: 0 x 10800 buffers
(0KB total)
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device for encoder VBI minor 224
ivtv: Create DMA encoder VBI stream: 0 x 8736 buffers
(0KB total)
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device for encoder PCM audio
minor 24
ivtv: Create DMA encoder PCM audio stream: 0 x 4608
buffers (0KB total)
saa7115: decoder set norm NTSC
saa7115: set audio: 0x01
ivtv: i2c client id: 0x02 not found!
saa7115: decoder set input (4)
saa7115: now setting Composite input
ivtv: Switching standard to NTSC.
ivtv: i2c client id: 0x02 not found!
saa7115: decoder set norm NTSC
saa7115: set audio: 0x01
ivtv: Initialized AVerMedia M179, card #0