[mythtv-users] MythTv on Debian Sarge

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 22:16:29 EDT 2005

On 7/4/05, verteiler <verteiler at juro.at> wrote:

> 1. Jarod's excellent FC-HowTo gives some insight regarding kernel
> choice, is there any information on what kernel one should use when
> using Debian? Expecially with regard to ivtv?

I'm using the stock 2.6 kernel on my Sarge machine.  The only issues I
have seen were collisions with modules msp3400 and tuner (using a
PVR-350) - easily solved with 'mv'. :)

> 2. Are there any limitations when using Debian? Actually, I would not
> assume that this ist the case, but who knows .....

You won't be able to use 'official' Debian packages, and the ones
provided at http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian/ are built for
unstable.  I recommend using 'apt-get source' against mdz's archive
and building your own dpkgs for Sarge, or you'll run into dependency
problems due to all the new stuff in unstable.

It has taken a little tinkering to get everything working the way I
want it, but it's worth the pleasure of running on a distro I like.