[mythtv-users] MythTV and DVD ISO files?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:31:55 EDT 2005

On 7/4/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
> >On 7/4/05, Dg B <dbretton at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Thanks guys.  Looks like I'll have to wait a little while yet.  I think I'll
> >>subscribe to the dev list and listen for updates.
> >>
> >heh did you READ the replies?  There's nothing to wait for.
> >
> >You can easily playback isos in MythVideo by using mplayer or xine
> >(which is how 99% of Mythvideo user playback videos).  The current
> >development version of Myth has an internal DVD player that doesn't
> >handle menus as of yet, that supports playback from isos as well,
> >though there's no easy way to tell it to playback an iso right now.
> >
> Note that xine and MPlayer /look/ like they're "internal" to end
> users--i.e. select the ISO image you want to play from MythVideo and
> MythVideo launches xine or MPlayer...
>
> Mike

I just returned from a week of vacation and of course, I spent it at
home recovering from a bad boating sun burn.  During that week, I
managed to get ISO files playing through XINE using it as a player for
MythVideo.  It was so easy it was sickening.  I went to Video Setup
and found the location for file types and chose out ISO (if it isn't
in the list, just add it).  I typed in:

xine -pfhq --no-splash dvd: %s

I also deselected the "Use default command line" (I think that is the
item, not in front of Myth now).  This command tells XINE to open just
the video window, maximize it, and don't show the splash screen.  I
think it tells it something else, but not sure right now.  Either way,
it plays the ISO file and reads menus just fine etc.  It worked
beautifully.  I now know what they mean by Mythical Convergence.  Good
luck!