[mythtv-users] Seeking driving me nuts

Juan Jesús García de Soria Lucena skandalfo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 03:48:01 EDT 2005

With 0.18.1 in my amd64 box, I was doing:

   1. Capture as RTJPEG (SW compression).
   2. Mark commercials.
   3. Transcode into MPEG-4.

I found that many recordings failed to fast-forward, rewind or
jump-to-commercial-point properly. Typically the recording would only jump
into one or two specific places of the recording.

I don't know if it had something to do with the 2GB file limit, but the
impression I had is that it happened more with longer recordings.

Since then I switched over to:

   1. Capture as MPEG-4.
   2. Mark commercials.

And now seeking and jumping work flawlessly. Also, seeking now finds correct
key frames or whatever in the recorded stream, while before (IIRC) I could
usually see MPEG-4 artifacts after a seek until the stream stabilized on a
key frame.

I don't know if this helps anyone, but I actually would like my original
setup to work, because real-time software MPEG-4 encoding is sometimes too
much for my box (which has to perform some other tasks in the background
too).

Regards,

Juan Jesús.

--
How can dreams come true? Is their type boolean?