[mythtv-users] Nvidia quarks, please explain.

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 13:04:29 EDT 2005

On 7/3/05, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, just reading over a plethora of threads that contradict each

> So, I am wondering what these quarks are, and if they are fixed in
> certain releases of nvidia drivers, and most importantly, does XvMC
> really take that much load off the processor?

All the way down at the bottom of the scale, XvMC can make the
difference between possible, and impossible. I have a co-worker with a
P2-233 with a 5200 PCI using XvMC. She can watch LiveTV, recordings,
etc, from a PVR-250. XvMC off and the machine is literally impossible
to use, both in Myth and mplayer.

More to the top end of the scale, should you want to watch HD content
without XvMC it does take a very beefy machine, especially if you want
any form of deinterlacing. I've tried it with a XP2400 clocked at
2400mhz, and with kerndeint and any denoising (IE for low-def
content), I wouldn't consider it usable.

Something that would change the dynamic a little, would be to allow
per-source-resolution filter choices. 720x480 you want deint and
denoise. 1280x720 needs neither one. 1920x1080 needs deint, etc.