[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend and frontend only

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Jul 4 03:10:40 EDT 2005

I asked this question in March 2005, and I finally decided to do
something about getting mythtv up.

Anyway, I want a replacement/alternative to freevo and thus I looking at
mythtv. The thing is, I don't want any recording capability(yet) and
would only want to use it as a frontend.

I use Gentoo and I compiled mythtv-0.18 with the "frontendonly" flag and
when it's done, each time I try to execute mythtv-setup or mythfrontend,
I get thrown into a setup screen to put my mysql db particulars.

Do I really need it? I don't have mysql started cos I don't plan on
using it at all. Is it possible to run a frontend only that plays my
list of DVDs/Avi/rmvb etc without mysql?

It's a front-end, I don't want to have mysql if it's not needed.
Possible? (Or does myth use mysql to store all the shows and what not?)

Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!