[mythtv-users] lirc not working in X using FC 3 and DVICO remote. irxevent does not exist!

Dario Mratovich dario.mratovich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 02:43:58 EDT 2005

Hi

I'm new to Linux and Myth and have been ploughing my way through Jarod
and Jani's guides to get Myth installed and running. I'm nearly there:
Myth runs OK but I can't get my DVICO remote working in Myth.

I'm using Fedora Core 3 and have a DVICO Fusion HDTV card and remote.

I've mainly followed Jani's guide to get to where I am now, although I
hit a few bumps on section 8 "Making the remote work"
(http://www.users.on.net/~jani/dvico-mythtv-8.html).

I've got the lirc-0.7.0pre4.tar.bz2 source and applied Chris Pascoe's
patch (as per the guide). I've configured and compiled lirc and kicked
off lircd. I can run irw and I get feedback from pressing remote
buttons. So far so good. The problem is that irxevent does not seem to
build.

I've tried Jani's steps carefully several times to no avail. I've also
tried downloading lirc-0.7.0 and applying Chris Pascoe's patch for
0.7.0 which just yields the same result - irw works fine, but irxevent
isn't created.

When I run setup.sh to configure lirc before compiling, I notice
"checking for X... no" in the output - does this mean that it hasn't
found my X11 libraries and therefore won't compile the lirc X tools
(i.e. irxevent)?

I've tried Googling and saw a post that had similar symptoms
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11923869)
although with a later version of lirc. The author of the post followed
up with another post
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=11924405)
saying that he solved the problem by pointing the compiler to the
correct location of the X11 libraries on his FC3 system.

Bingo (or so I thought). I tried following his advice, but my
/usr/X11R6/lib/ path contains

/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.2

but not /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so. I then tried creating the symlink like this:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 /usr/local/lib/libX11.so

and re-configuring and recompiling lirc, but that didn't seem to work.

I've also tried lirc-0.7.1 which has built-in support for the DVICO
remote (so I don't have to apply any patches) but I have the same
result.

So is the problem that the compiler can't find my X11 libraries?
Surely these must exist if I'm able to run X, right?

Thinking that maybe they're not installed correctly, I tried to use
the Add/Remove packages GUI tool in KDE to install X Windows Developer
Tools. When I tried to install any of them, I got an error saying that
the the packages I wanted to install require xorg-x11-libs and
xorg-x11--xfs to be installed before I can continue.

Seeing no way to install these I then tried "apt-get install
xorg-x11-libs" but I got a message saying that they're already
installed... What's going on?!

I'm really stuck here and I don't know what to do. I would really
appreciate any help you can give me. I'm still new to this Linux thing
so be gentle if I've missed the obvious  :-)

Cheers

Dario