[mythtv-users] building my first MythTV box

sarvinc at fastmail.fm sarvinc at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 3 13:32:15 EDT 2005

I'm new to the list and planning on building a single MythTV box under $800
and I have a couple questions I'm hoping people can answer.
First, any specific suggestions on hardware and PVR cases?
Second, I don't have HD but I'd like to beat the "broad cast flags" issue, in
case it ever comes up again, I'm thinking about the pcHDTV HD-3000. From the
looks of  http://www.pchdtv.com/ this card won't work with my existing
digital cable setup. Would it save me a lot of time and trouble to just go
for a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 instead?
Third, I'm hoping to get the quitest solution possible. What sort of cpu /
motherboard combo should I be looking at? From the looks of this list if I go
with the HD card then there are heat issues. Are mini-itx solutions
suggested, not suggested, what about Pentium 4 processors?
Last, do I need another video card, or is the video capture card all I need?
Thanks for all the help, sorry there are so many questions.