[mythtv-users] Cutpoints delayed & bad commercial flagging

Matthew Phillips mythtv at mattp.name
Sun Jul 3 07:08:11 EDT 2005

On 03/07/2005, at 12:21 PM, Matthew Carle wrote:

> I usually put cutpoints into a movie before I watch it so I can
> just let it
> run (I don't transcode). The problem is that it always plays about 10
> seconds after the "delete after this point" cutpoints. The "delete
> before
> this point" cutpoints don't appear to have the problem (certainly
> not to the
> same degree - I havn't noticed it).
>
> I have also tried a transcode which also results in the delay.
>
> Is this a software limitation or is something not working right?
>
> I also have another issue which may be related. Commercial flagging
> nearly
> always detects commercials as starting and ending too early
> (averaging 20-30
> seconds). I don't think I've ever seen a commercial break flagged
> correctly.
> Is this normal? I am using the "all" method of flagging.

I have similar problems with 0.17 (I'm in Adelaide using DVB-T). End
cutpoints end late and commercial flagging is quite spotty (using the
"all" method of detection). The late end cut-points aren't a bug
problem and, since commercial breaks tend to be 3 mins, I've just got
into the habit of turning flagging off and hitting "3" "forward" to
skip 3 mins when the commercials start.

I assume that commercial flagging is optimized for US TV and
something in the commercial layouts on Australian free to air
channels throws it. It seems to be especially easily fooled by the
station's own commercials for upcoming shows that come at the end of
ad breaks. I realise commercial flagging is a bit of a black art, so
I'm not too surprised it doesn't work in places it probably isn't
tuned for. I'm just happy that it works so well otherwise ;)

Matt.