[mythtv-users] Known good surround sound cards?

Patrick Vaughan patrick_a_vaughan at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 2 09:17:44 EDT 2005

Noobie alert!

I'm building a new box, and would like to drive The Worlds Cheapest
SurroundSound Receiver (tm).  I'm looking at a:

CHAINTECH SKT600 VIA KT600 ATX AMD Motherboard
     cheap, lots of PCI slots, 2 serial (for modem and IRBlaster)
2 -SAMSUNG SpinPoint 160GB 7200 RPM HDs - mirrored
AMD Sempron 3000+ Barton CPU - transcoding is your friend
1 GB RAM

The onboard audio says it'll support 6 channel audio, via an "external
codec", and since I can't find one of those (and I'm not a big fan of
no-board audio) I'm thinking of adding a sound card.  For video I'm thinking
of going with a PVR250 and possibly an Nvidia video card (gotta find one
with TV out), so an external audo card will work fine.

I googled around, and found a few older related posts, but what are people
using currently for surround sound?  Preferably with optical digial output,
but my receiver has a coax digital input as well.