[mythtv-users] Overwhelmed

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Sat Jul 2 08:02:54 EDT 2005

>>> lopemanc at swbell.net 07/01/05 10:15 PM >>>
> Thank you all for your responses.  This has been extremely
> helpful and the fog is starting to clear.
>
> Paul thanks for your suggestion of dumping my 300 cd carousel.
> I like the carousel but I like the idea better and it should only
> take about 150 gig hd to do it.  Does mythtv or some addon
> piece of software automatically download all the track title and
> artist info and allow you to search your CDs on HD to find and
> play music?

Yep.  MythMusic will do it all.  It is a bit clunky for my tastes,
but it gets the job done and the visualizations a good for
parties.

> Also Paul, you stated at one time that "you dare anybody to
> tell the difference between a dedicated DVD and MythTV playing
> it".  Is this from the DVD drive or after you copied it ot HD.  Later

This is from after copying it as a "perfect" copy.  I guess it could
be directly from the DVD drive as well.  I hadn't thought about
that - as the process is pretty much the same.

> you mention that HD is worth the image loss.  Please clarify.

Typically when I rip a DVD, I use the next-to-the-top setting.
I can't remember what it is called, but it is a very good copy
of the original but skips the menus.  If I really want to keep
the menus, I use the top setting.  No image loss.

> Somebody mentioned that Linux DVD players are not up to par.

There isn't really any such thing as a "linux dvd player" so
much as there are linux software players that can play
DVDs.  Xine (IMHO) is as good as any software player
out there, windows players included.  There may be a
*slight* difference between my Denon and Xine, but
not so much that I want to go back to using it.  I'm
actually thinking of selling it to finance some additional
(probably 3 or 4) frontends.

> If you found one that is please inform us.  We rent a lot of DVD
> and I can't see copying them all to HD before playing them.

No need to do that.  You can set up your system to automatically
launch xine when a dvd is inserted into a frontend.

>Thanks again for all the help,

No problemo.  Remember these are just my opinions...

>Chris Lopeman

Paul