[mythtv-users] Mythtvosd

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Jul 1 00:44:46 EDT 2005

On 30-Jun-05, at 11:16 PM, Devan Lippman wrote:

> trying to play around with mythtvosd but I can't really find much
> information on it.  I have tried running the following command but I
> don't get any output to the screen while watching a recording.
>
>  # mythtvosd --template=/src/mythtv/programs/mythtvosd/alert.xml
> --alert_text='hello' --bcastaddr=127.0.0.1
>  Sent UDP/XML packet to IP 127.0.0.1 and port: 6948

You have to have mythudprelay running, I always have it running as a
daemon. It listens on port 4958 and rearranges whatever it sees to a
format that myth likes/requires and rebroadcasts that on port 6949
which is what the frontend listens to. All the info is in the
contrib/mythnotify directory. Search callerid in the dev archives for
the rationale. I only skimmed it but I believe the why is there and the
how is in the mythnotify directory.

- George