[mythtv-users] New Myth System Fedora 3 or 4

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 00:50:01 UTC 2005

On 7/1/05, Steve Nuffer <nuffersp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have built a prototype system on FedoraCore3.  I am purchasing a new
> system that will be both the frontend/backend.
>
> I was wondering what people's opinion are on which Fedora version I should
> go to?  3 or 4  Are the instructions pretty much the same between the two?

Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and go for FC3. Get
everything running smoothly, and if you find you and want to upgrade
to FC4, do it then (should be fairly smooth). There are lots of users
running FC3 (my main backend is running FC2 as I don't have a
compelling reason to upgrade it yet) and currently Jarod's guide (kind
of the bible for FC installations) covers up to FC3, with FC4 info
being added soon.

> As far as ivtv, I was thinking on gonig to version .2 instead of .3 because
> of stability.  Any additional thoughts on that?

Depends on what card you are running - you need .3 series if you're
wanting to use a PVR150/500 card, otherwise for a 250/350 card, see
how it goes with 0.2. I still use 0.2.0-rc3f with a PVR350 just
because it works and didn't want to run bleeding edge if I didn't need
to, although for older cards the 0.3 drivers are pretty stable and a
lot of the new code I think is targetted towards the new cards.

Nick