[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging Problem

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sun Jan 30 23:55:50 EST 2005

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:27:12AM -0500, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > commercials and eliminate false positives.  I've got code started in
> > my source tree to try using aspect ratio changes to help detect when
> > commercials start and stop.  There are also a few other detection ideas
> > on my TODO to add that will help the ALL method be more accurate.

<long utopia commercial detection description deleted> :)

> This is bluesky for now, but I expect something like this will happen
> in the future.
>
> Today, however, I will put in one suggestion that I have made before but
> may bear repetition.  Quite often, and almost always on HDTV, commercials
> are in a different aspect ratio from the regular show, and if you can
> detect the black bars, you can have very accurate elimination.

Did you even read what you quoted from my post above? :)  I said I'm
starting working on code to detect the aspect ratio changes.  I record
a few shows that are letterboxed and have been putting some thought into
this lately.  I also have some code that should allow the flagger to
use the aspect changes detected in the decoder as well, but I don't have
a sample file to test that with yet.  Should have one soon.  So anyway,
aspect ratio detection will probably be the next thing added to "ALL",
since it's fairly easy to implement and is a very good indicator of
the distinction between what is show and what is commercial.  This will
be after 0.17 though, I don't plan on adding any new detection
functionality to the flagger before 0.17.  (Don't want to break it
and have a bunch of angry 0.17 users). :)

--

Chris