[mythtv-users] DVD rip idea

Michael J. Emswiler mikee at emswilerenterprises.com
Sun Jan 30 22:05:26 EST 2005

There has been some discussion of this exact thing on the forums and after
some good hints and a lot of research, I finally got it working.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the kewl progress display the current Myth
Rip does, but at least it gets the job done.

I built a shell script to do it all (out of several pre-existing ones --
thanks for the great start Scott!) and then changed the Import DVD menu to
Import DVD Track and added a menu Import Entire DVD, I also added Video
Manager from Setup into this menu to have quick access to define IMDB info
for the DVDs I rip without all that extra navigation.

Here's what it does/I did:

1.  Play sound1 to confirm to the user that ripping has started
2.  I use dvdbackup to create a temporary directory that contains an exact
copy of the dvd.  It has the added side effect of not leaving the drive
mounted after doing so.
3.  I use mkisofs to create a single ISO image file from the directory tree
created by dvdbackup.
4.  I move the ISO to the myth/video directory and cleanup the temporary
directory
5.  Play sound2 to let the user know that ripping has finished and eject the
drive for a further visual cue.
4.  I edited Video Player settings and added the filetype ISO to it with the
custom launch application of Xine (full-screen, etc.) which can read an ISO
file and play menus correctly (mostly.)
5.  I go into the Media Library, Watch Videos -- and voila!  Single entries
for entire DVDs with integrated IMDB info.  Playing them will invoke Xine
however, rather than mplayer as a result of the custom filetype mentioned
above.

I am working on a How-To that covers all these issues and will post them to
this forum when complete.  However, it's getting late tonight and I have to
work in the morning so it probably won't be till next weekend before I have
all the steps clearly defined so I don't get pummeled with support questions
:-)

However, if you know what you're doing and brave enough, (and the mailing
list allows attachments) I have attached the script here for your
exploration, however, I am not taking support emails about it for the time
being.  Please wait for the How To.

NOTE that you should edit it and change the first block of parameters to
match your system.

Be sure to store it somewhere useful and give it the right +rx attributes
and user/group permissions to run it from mythtv (not just root!)

MikeE