[mythtv-users] 3 paths to take (Pundit-R with PVR-350)

Alex Harford harford at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 10:32:18 EST 2005

I've been tweaking my FC3 install for the past week.  Recording TV
shows, flagging commercials, etc works flawlessly now.  But I'm trying
to get the bugs ironed out, and there is a showstopper as far as I'm
concered, and that's DVD playback.

This is on a Pundit-R system, using the PVR-350 tv out, 2.4GHz
Celeron, 512mb ram, 160gb hard drive (which already isn't enough :D )

Ideally I would have DVD playback, with menus, through the TV out on
the PVR-350.

With the current state of the video player software though, it's not
possible.  For one, mplayer doesn't support DVD menus, and even if it
did, I can't get the audio to stay synced with the video.

So, after thinking about it for a while, there are basically 4 choices I have.

1) Buy another PCI video card with TV out, an nvidia.  I'd rather not
spend more cash on the box right now, and I'm worried it may not fit
in the case.

2) Get TV out on the ATI9100 IGP.  Not much luck here so far, I tried
installing the RPM on my FC3 system but I wasn't successful.  Has
anyone does this, or have a link to a HOWTO?

3) Mplayer with DVD menus.  I searched the mplayer mailing list, but
it doesn't seem like there is much effort to get this working.

4) Xine with an ivtv output driver.  There's some talk on the xine
mailing list about doing this, and I'd be interested in helping get it
working, so I'm trying to get in touch with those guys.

Am I missing anything obvious here?  I'm really stoked about having
the TV working, but I'd like to get it all working from one media
centre box.

Alex