[mythtv-users] MythFillDatabase: Unexpected System Shutdowns

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Jan 30 04:09:42 EST 2005

Well I found out how to crash thunderbird. Do a search for "2>&1" in
your messages. (I was making sure I had the syntax right, since I
remember someone suggesting it before, and I sometimes forgot the end part.)

At any rate first try

mythfilldatabase > foo.log 2>&1

and then look at foo.log or whatever you name it after the crash and
hope it has something interesting in it..

It sounds to me that you may have a bad myth install. I'd look for any
shutdown options in the menu's and if that doesn't help I'd probably
remove myth and reinstall it and see what happens.

If you want another way to see what happens you can setup your machine
to have a console on a serial port. That way even in the worst crashes
you have the entire screen history shown on the non crashed computer you
connected it to. forums.gentoo.org should have a how-to for gentoo
linux. I'm not sure about other distributions. Of course this might also
be a great excuse to play with a video camera if you have one around and
can get frame by frame playback. I'm not sure how well monitor's will
record that way though.

Also check any logs that look interesting in /var/log/ ..