[mythtv-users] OS X

Robert Karaffa rkaraff at emory.edu
Sat Jan 29 12:06:34 EST 2005

hi folks,
	i've been reading MythOnMacOSX and have managed to install a
near-working frontend on my old headless G4TiBook (500MHz, 784 RAM).
this TiBook outputs video to my TV via s-video.  normally, i watch
movies using VLC, which works just fine, but the interface is too
computer-oriented (i.e., requires keyboard/mouse to select movies,
play, pause, etc.).  not any fun to do when trying to sit comfortably
on my fat arse on the couch.

my backend is a KnoppMyth laptop, and it works very well (latest
KnoppMyth plus a couple of plugins).  nothing special.  500MHz Dell
Latitude.  KnoppMyth is very easy to install/configure.

i keep an old Mandrake box as a multimedia server.  it houses a couple
of 200Gb drives that hold all of my movies/music.  my KnoppMyth box
nfs-mounts the Mandrake box.  works wonderfully.

my questions concerning MythOnMacOSX:

1)  i've managed to install the CVS version of Myth w/plugins.  i can
nfs-mount my multimedia server to allow access for video playback on
the Mac.

How do I playback movies?

I've installed MPlayer for OS X.
in the setup screens for MythVideo, I can get MPlayer to start using:
"open /Applications/MPlayer.app (and the rest of the commands like -fs
--no-splash -zoom %s")
Select a movie, and  MPlayer starts, but it also brings itself to the
front, along with the Finder and the Dock.

something I'm not doing correctly here.

2)  i don't have a TV tuner card of any kind right now.  not interested
in it at the moment.  how does that impact the fact that my backend is
0.16 and my MacMyth frontend is not?

-Bob K.