[mythtv-users] HDTV and MythTV

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Fri Jan 28 19:02:33 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 18:33, Tom E. Craddock, Jr. wrote:
> Drew Zerdecki wrote:
> >3.    Can I use HDTV encoding card and a PVR 350 in the same box?

This may sound like a nitpick, but there are no HDTV encoding cards.
HDTV is already compressed, so it's encoded by the broadcaster (using
something more powerful than a single card, for that matter).  If you
didn't understand that already, you need to go through the list and read
the various threads on HDTV.  If you did already know that, then please
be careful to use precise language when discussing technical issues--it
really helps in getting useful answers.

> 2.) Not sure if anyone has had success with DVI out to a DVI to HDMI
> converter,

It's not a converter, it's a cable, and it's what I use.  HDMI is DVI
with a different connector for all practical purposes.  (Yes, HDMI also
includes audio, but few people who have HDTV still use TV speakers for
sound.  Yes, HDMI implies support for HDCP which was optional for DVI,
but that just means it will decrypt if needed, not that encryption is
required.)

So yes, DVI-out from my nVidia 5200 to my HDMI input on my TV works,
provided you get the mode lines exactly correct (and you turn off the
EDID information, since the TV can't provide the exact video modes
correctly).

> 3.) Yes there has been work done on getting a pvrx50 card and the pcHDTV
> card to work together, and I know that some have had success in doing
> so. Im trying it this weekend, then Ill know for sure heh :-)

Yes, but you probably don't want to use the TV-out of the 350 (switching
outputs based on the video source--yuck), so unless you already have
one, get a cheaper 250.

--PC