[mythtv-users] Transcoding settings for DVB source

Andy Whitworth andywhit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:43:34 EST 2005

Hi,

I've just edited commercials out of a DVB sourced program and the resultant
transcoded file size was about 3x the original!!  So I looked at my transcoding
settings and changed the target coded to MPEG4 from RTjpeg.  This results
in smaller file sizes i.e. less than the original rather than more :-)
BUT, the transcoded program seems to have "forgotten" that it's a widescreen
program and starts playing in 4:3 format.  If I change the ratio to
16:9 manually
then it looks fine *but* I have to manually switch aspect ratio whereas the
pre-transcoded original would automatically detect and switch to 16:9.

Is there anything I can do to set transcoding to preserve the automatic
widescreen detection ?

Cheers,

Andy.