[mythtv-users] DVD Playback across the wire

Eric NICOLAS nicolas00 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 28 15:29:55 EST 2005

Hi all,

Sorry if that question has already been answered, I cannot find any clue about that in the documentation or in the mailing lists, so I'd figured I just asked.

I would like to build a system with two machines:

# One machine would sit near my stereo and have the big hard drive with all the music, output the sound to the sterero, be connected to a small TV for viewing TV programs, play games, etc... It would also have the I.R. receiver for the remote and the DVD-Rom drive.
# One tiny machine would sit near my video project and have the DVI output plugged into the video projector

The two machines would be connected via ethernet LAN (as well as my main computer, an Apple Mac).

Is this even possible ? I assume the first machine would be what you call the "back end" and have one "front end" running in it as well, while the second one would be a second "front end" ?

If I want to play a DVD, how would it work ? Can the back end stream the DVD data from its DVD drive to the front end on the other machine ? In which format does that happen (I don't want any re-encoding of the DVD MPEG2 data !!). Would the DVD menu keep working as well ?

Thanks for any answer about feasibility of this and how to compile / configure the whole thing. I would like to know where I'm going before buying all the necessary hardware :-)

Eric.