[mythtv-users] Re: no one on here uses dial up then?

Derek Conniffe derek at rivertower.ie
Fri Jan 28 14:03:51 EST 2005

I don’t dial-up (although I'm remote enough and don’t have broadband but I
have, after years, managed to get myself a fixed 64kb connection) - but I
can't see how dialup would be a problem because its only one program -
mythfilldatabase - which starts, pulls down the data (which takes quite a
while I find for the UK/Ireland listings) and then is done so I'd imagine it
would be an easy job to make a small script with ppp dialup,
mythfilldatabase and ppp disconnect and then put this script into
/etc/crontab.  But I don’t have experience with this and wont have either.
It would be a problem if mythfilldatabase hung or anything as it might hold
your phone line open but then again I'd guess that you could configure a
no-activity timeout on the ppp dialup.

Derek

PS I do use dialup in a very remote location but there I run ppp dial
manually (with SuSE 9.1 and ISDN chan_capi) and then I kill the connection
manually too.  I don’t use mythtv there at all but the ppp connect/kill
works so well that I'd say it would do the job just fine with a script -
again I don’t do this with mythtv so what I'm saying is my untested opinion
only.