[mythtv-users] Re: HDTV, Myth, HD-2000, HD-3000, questions galore (and hopefully answers from the smart people... )

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:46:08 EST 2005

Ok, I just updated my CPU from an Athlon XP 2000+ to an 3200+ and have
some questions about performance with HDTV.

First, my mythtv specs:

Athlon XP 3200+ with 512Mb RAM, nVidia FX 6600, Nforce onboard LAN, SB
Audigy 2 sound card, HD-3000 and PVR-250.  /proc/cpuinfo confirms the
3200+ setting and a bogomips of 4341.76.  I installed mythtv with
Jarod's instructions using kernel 2.6.10 and pcHDTV v1.6.  I'm using
ALSA, /dev/dsp, KDE, and a resolution of 1024x768 (output to a VGA
monitor).

When watching livetv on ABC (HD 720p), I end up with 0% idle using top
    72% cpu usage for mythfrontend
    18% cpu for mythbackend
     6% for X
     1% for lirc_dev
    <1% for top and others

When watching livetv on NBC (HD 1080i), I end up with 0% idle using top
    82% cpu usage for mythfrontend
     9% cpu for mythbackend
     7% for X
     1% for lirc_dev
    <1% for the rest

When watching recorded Fox (no recording), I end up with 10% idle using top
     56% cpu usage for mythfrontend
     24% for mythbackend
      5% for X
      1% for lirc_dev
      <1% for the rest

When watching recorded NBC (no recording), I end up with 0% idle using top
     85% cpu usage for mythfrontend
     10% for X
      2% for mythbackend
      1% for lirc_dev
      <1% for the rest

These numbers seem much worse than what I've read from other people
online.  What are others seeing with HDTV?  Should I be getting better
performance from a 3200+?  Is there something else I should be looking
at to improve?

Thanks,
phlepper

--
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius