[mythtv-users] MythTV & EPIA MotherBoards Suggestion

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jan 28 00:19:39 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 11:27, Andrew Wilson wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >         Appreciate some help on choosing a EPIA MB that has the best
> > probability of success with running MythTv.
> >
> > The choices I have are
> >
> > M1000
> > MS1200
>
> These two have hardware mpeg accel supported in mythtv....

i see..  (actually, I now see, since I didn't know that from looking at
the epia wiki)

> > V800
>
> And this one doesn't. Go for an M series,

Thanks, it also uses 8MB Shared VRAM IIRC

> > I'm hoping to set it up as follows:
> > LIRC
> > Gentoo Linux
> > TV-Out
> > IDE Hard Drive.
>
> Yes. No problems there. However you forgot one of the most important
> parts: A TV card. This is going to be a harder decision. Do you have
> DVB where you are? If so, then get a DVB card. Otherwise get an full
> featured analog card with an Mpeg encoder, because the EPIA can't do
> it in software in real time.

I don't think we have DVB. (I'm not exactly sure what is DVB, but we do
have something like cable here, comes with a set-top box+satellite
receiver)

Actually, since you mentioned it, I presume the EPIA don't have enough
Horsepower to encode/record TV programs? Does adding the analog Mpeg
Card (eg: Haugepage/AverMedia) help?

> > The thing which worries me now is how to get LIRC as well as TV-out to
> > work. I've noted that the EPIA comes with
> >

> TV out is easy - EPIA comes with composite and S-Video TV outs
>
> > 1x CIR Connector
> > 1x FIR Connector
> >

> Ignore these. You really have two main options for IR: Go for a TV
> card with a remote, which you can use in lirc, or buy a serial port ir
> receiver. These are cheap and let you use just about any remote.

Serial Port IR. WIll a USB one work? I have a actisys which when I plug
into the USB on my laptop, loads the stir4200 module. (but I read that
usb IR doensn't work)

Actually, I can't get my Laptop IR to work under LIRC. (I've posted the
issue to a few lists but no replies thus far)

> > I'm hoping that I will get more luck with this. Would Appreciate a
> > response.
> >

> No worries. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the hand-holding

--