[mythtv-users] Favorite Universal Remote? Buying Tips

Corey Haim gmaddr-usenet at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 09:54:12 EST 2005

Paul.Buchanan at thomson.com wrote:

>I'm also using the Radio Shack 15-2116.  It has enough logically laid out buttons and funtionality to do everything I wanted.  One nice thing about this remote is that it has JP1 capability.  JP1 is an interface on the remote that allows for remote programming and backup via a parallel port, Windows app and special cable.  You can get similar functionality in the really fancy remotes, but IMHO, its not worth the price premium.  Plus, the 15-2116 doesn't scare away the wife =)

I am also using this remote with MythTV and my wife and I like it. Thaks
for the tip on the JP1. Where do you get the cable and software for this
feature? My one gripe is that although you can program a single key to
turn off all devices, you cannot actually assign the macro to the POWER
button. This means you have to pick something else, which is just silly
I think. My cable remote allows this and has a nice feature that when
you select a device and immediately hit the power key it is device
specific, but if you wait a few seconds, or the last keypress was not a
device selection it executes the macro.