[mythtv-users] Favorite Universal Remote? Buying Tips

Chris Clonch chris at theclonchs.com
Thu Jan 27 09:30:21 EST 2005

Although not of the same caliber as those previously mentioned universal
remotes, I'm am quite happy with my $11USD Philips PHDVD5 remote
(http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2625057).  I plan
on controlling Myth under the cable or satellite modes (currently having
problems with my IR receiver).  There are more than enough buttons for
Myth, and I'm able to control all of my other various AV components.  Of
course I'd love to have remote with a LCD screen and dynamic buttons,
but I can't afford the cost.  For those doing a system on the cheap,
this remote is well worth money.

Unfortunately, I don't know about it availability down under, as Walmart
only ships in US.  Philips website doesn't list this remote, which is
actually manufactured by Gemini Industries.  To make matters worse,
Gemini doesn't even have the remote listed on their website, but list
one that is very similar as far as I can tell
(http://www.gemini-usa.com/a5/modelDetail.asp?PkgID=367774&User=GemRemoteControls).

Just my $0.02USD...

-Chris