[mythtv-users] NVIDIA

MacNean C. Tyrrell dardack at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 17:04:27 EST 2005

Ryan A. Carris wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:53:42 -0500, MacNean C. Tyrrell
><dardack at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I give up.  I just tried a nvidia fx 5200 card and X doesn't work
>>either.  X tries to start, goes through it s progressions, then it's
>>just like 32 straigh (Vertical) white lines on the screen.  I can cntrl
>>alt f1 out, but the console is in huge huge huge letters, like maybe 5
>>letters fit both across and down.  This is all with tv out.  CRT works
>>fine.  I'm so just frustrated.  I know it's not my tv or computer
>>because my sis 315 card works fine.  I just my system is fast enough for
>>2 pvr 250 without XVMC or whatever it is.  Oh man.  This stinks.
>>

>Are you asking for help or just ranting?

I've posted other things related to my problem here and on knoppmyth's
forum.  So it was basically just saying i give up to all previous posts
related to my problem.

>My inbox is cluttered enough, I don't need yours and half a dozen
>other people's daily rants.

Ok, but i have a filter that filters mythtv to another folder so my
inbox doesn't get clutter.

>If you would like help, it would have been helpful if you had
>described the steps you went through to install the Nvidia drives.
>Such as whether you are installing from RPMs or the Nvidia installer.
>Also helpful would be to know what you changed in your xorg.conf.

I used the nvidia installer from 6629 to 6111 to 6106, all on fresh
installs.  I tried the nvidia sample tvout that comes with knoppmyth.  I
used my XF86Config-4 file i use for my sis card with the driver changed
and any sis specifics.  I also installed Knoppmyth with the tv option,
which creates a vesa X config file for tvout, and just changed the
driver to nvidia (and removed GLORE and added glx like nvidia
mentions).  I also used the nv driver and that gives like a scrambled
picture on my tv.  All of this i had mentioned before.

> The
>X error messages would also be really helpful to know and would
>probably allow someone to solve your problem in 30 seconds.

Like my message said there was no error message.  It goes through the
different resolutions/color depth in the X config file and finally
settles on an X session with about 13-20 vertical white bars.  If i
cntrl alt f1 out i get huge huge huge letters from the console.  I can
tell it's the console i can read one word.  But this was also mentioned
in my message.

> Since
>none of this was in your message, I'm guessing it was just a rant.
>
>May I suggest the following links:
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I'll take it into consideration.

>ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6629/README.txt

Been here.

>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#video

This is mainly on how to set up nvidia drivers and X, which i already
did.  Not really error fixing.  Plus isn't this for the FC kernel?

>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

searched here and knoppmyth

>A careful read of those will likely solve your problem.  However if
>they don't I'm sure we can help.
>
>And I'm sorry for the mean spirted post, but I'm getting sick and
>tired of people posting rants about how things don't work.  They work,
>it just isn't always easy.  If you want easy, go run BeyondTV or
>Snapstream on windows.   I'm really starting to appreciate Isaac's one
>line responses.

I'm sorry you felt that i didn't provide enough information or
something.  I've been messing with two nvidia cards for a few days now,
hours on end.  Everyone loves these cards and such but i've had no
luck.  Unfortunately the only thing i can think of is my tv (although my
sis card works flawlessly, well almost, it works flawlessly in X, fb is
another story), but i don't have another tv with svideo in and thats all
my nvidia cards have as out, no composite to try on another tv.  I've
searched and asked on the nvidia forums.  I've tried all suggestions
mentioned, except for Brads email the other day on how to debug X
better.  Just haven't had time.