[mythtv-users] NVIDIA

MacNean C. Tyrrell dardack at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 16:49:17 EST 2005

Brad Templeton wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:53:42PM -0500, MacNean C. Tyrrell wrote:
>

>>I give up.  I just tried a nvidia fx 5200 card and X doesn't work
>>either.  X tries to start, goes through it s progressions, then it's
>>just like 32 straigh (Vertical) white lines on the screen.  I can cntrl
>>alt f1 out, but the console is in huge huge huge letters, like maybe 5
>>letters fit both across and down.  This is all with tv out.  CRT works
>>fine.  I'm so just frustrated.  I know it's not my tv or computer
>>because my sis 315 card works fine.  I just my system is fast enough for
>>2 pvr 250 without XVMC or whatever it is.  Oh man.  This stinks.
>>

>Your system is fast enough for many PVR-250s.  They do not use significant
>CPU to record.   Only playback needs CPU.   My own test showed a 750 mhz
>Athlon to be more than adequate for playback (without xvmc).
>I guess I have heard people say a 400mhz celeron is too slow, the minimum
>is in the middle, perhaps a 600mhz?
>
>Plus there is a new patch in the works that takes even less CPU for playback,
>so the number may drop.
>
>See my earlier note from yesterday for tips on making it easier to debug
>your X display.
>
>Try the 6111 driver from nvidia, I found it easier to get going than the 6629.

Yea thanks for the tip on debugging X.  Unfortunately, i don't have
another linux box and i have to share the laptop with the wife, so don't
have long to debug something before she wants it for something.  I've
used the 6111 driver, 6629 and the one before the 6111 driver all with
the same result.

 Do you know when that patch is expected out?