[mythtv-users] [OT] Re: Problems using MythTV - errors with channel parameters

Michael Obster michael at obster.org
Wed Jan 26 12:48:43 EST 2005

Hi,

Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

> First off, it's not "my" software.  Secondly, bitching and complaining when
> you obviously haven't done your research (such as reading the -dev mailing
> list to see that the DVB Patch had been committed to CVS), and haven't kept
> current with CVS...  That's not a problem with the software.  That's a problem
> with the user.

I don't agree with that. Software guidelines and research about software
engineering tells a complete other view. They say the problem user does
not exist. (I know that this is a very provoking statement)

I cannot be the duty of the user to read a complete mailing list to get
a software running.
The duty of an user is to read documenation like a handbook, an usage
guide, a howto or anything else in this form.
That was what I have done to run my mythtv and my experience was that
documentation had lots of holes or obselete parts. Especially DVB setup
is not described very well.
Btw the best software in the intention of software enginering is
intuitional usable software, because documentation is not needed there
(but I always say, continue your dream).

After some hints from mailing lists to
http://www.digitalregime.com/mythdvb/ I get my mythtv running.

Personally for open source projects I don't write back to people and
critize their attitude. This always frights users off. It is clear in
such situation that some people are frustrated because of bad
documentation (yes the problem is very well know by an open source
project I'm development member), but nobody of us writes (or should
write) such mails to the people. We try to help them... and come on this
is a user list and not a development list ;-)
If you get lots of mails like that, perhaps it is time to do something
against that? When nothing will be done until I get some more time , I
will to try to write a complete howto, but I cannot do that without
help. Because imho a change here is needed.

So don't complain about attitude, my original post was more from the
frustration and anger about the software and that is not ok, but your
reaction was also not ok for my opinion. I did not offend you (I hope
so) in my original post, so why have you done that to me or the cattles?
  They cannot answer back, I can ;-).

Btw. another persons has told me why -march=pentiumpro and I can
understand that. Perhaps if you want to talk to optimization guru go to
http://www.fefe.de. He had done a very good presentation about gcc
optimization a few years ago :-).

Cheers,
Michael Obster
mailto: michael at obster.org
http://www.obster.org

1. Vorsitzender Linux User Group Ingolstadt e.V.
http://www.lug-in.de

Ortsvorsitzender Friedrichshofen-Hollerstauden
der Jungen Union Ingolstadt
http://www.ju-ingolstadt.de