[mythtv-users] upcoming movies with *** or more?

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Wed Jan 26 12:37:52 EST 2005

Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> writes:

> I provided a patch to mythweb to do exactly that (search for movies by
> star rating).   I don't think it's in CVS yet but hopefully will be soon.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/103682
>
> You can apply it pretty easily yourself, as mythweb is PHP and does not
> need to be compiled.

Thanks!  That works perfectly.  Isn't open source wonderful?

By the way, the patch is a bit corrupted in that archive, but I made
the changes by hand.  I've attached the patch here in case others
want to try it.  (I didn't do the HD labelling part, though.)

> I also have another program in testing to do the latter (automatic
> recording by various parameters) which can be used to record all movies
> above a certain star rating and a lot of other stuff, but I am waiting
> for more testing before deploying it here.   However, I did not put
> in a specific feature for star rating (though you can do it) because this
> actually isn't very practical if you have cable or satellite at least.

I think it might be practical if limited to 4 star movies, especially
if expiry can be made more sophisticated.  Large movies recorded by
such a rule could be made to expire earlier than other recordings, for
example.  I'd also like to be able to have different expiry times
based on the priority of a recording.  Are features like this in the
works?

> A 4* and above search might not be out of the question.   In CVS Myth you
> can also do a generlized SQL query to do this

Sounds like a nice new feature.  Is this to do the recording or just
the searching?

Dan