[mythtv-users] bob deinterlacing and animated shows

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Wed Jan 26 04:26:11 EST 2005

You can convert from 29.97 to 24 and with a great deal of success.
Take a look at virtualdub.org.  It runs on windows, but the code is
available for
most of the add ons.  In particular look for things like

3:2 pulldown
inverse telecine

Basically its a method of constructing the original frames from the
29.97 frames.
In general, these are not 100% perfect, but they are fairly good.

I've yet to look at the transcode options in myth, but if one was going
to put those
features in, it makes more sense to do it then, since its somewhat cpu
intensive.

In theory you might be able to eventually have the option automagically
selected
live, but the time required for an algorithm to notice and be reasonably
sure the
original material was 24fps might be a few seconds worth of frames and
then you
have the mess of changing back and forth + the fact that comercials
might confuse
it even more.  Yes this would definitely be something worth porting to
transcode
options, if it isn't already there, but doing it live would be messy.  I
suppose you
could have a manual switch for live though.  It would likely require
restarting however
live  programs are timeshifted so that the entire stream is  24 fps.  It
might also
require a slight additional delay to allow the algorithm time to work.

I really should look at whats possible with transcoding one day soon...