[mythtv-users] bob deinterlacing and animated shows

toad six dapharsyde at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:44:08 EST 2005

I just got my MythTV setup going, and I've noticed interlaced lines
appear on my TV, and they're obvious.  Similar to the picture here:

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech/video2.htm

The lines are ugly, and I want to get rid of them, so I'm trying to
use Bob deinterlacing.  (If somebody has suggestions on how to get rid
of the lines without using deinterlacing, please let me know!!)

It looks pretty good on "live" shows (as in, those that are recorded
with a camera) - for some reason, live shows seem to have the least
occurences of the interlacing artifacts on screen, possibly because
they are natively recorded in 29.97fps???

But when I'm watching an animated show (natively 24fps) like The
Simpsons, there are a lot of scenes that have interlacing issues
without Bob; when I pause the video, I see lots of lines.  With Bob
enabled, however, these scenes are "jumpy" - does anyone else have
this problem?  I'm sure it happens during the "live" shows as well,
but it's just not as noticable because there are fewer scenes that
have interlacing issues.  What can I do to fix this?

It may be worth noting that I get a lot of the dreaded "prebuffering
pauses" if I enable Bob, and I'll notice a tiny hiccup in audio every
once in awhile.

Any help would be much appreciated...

My setup includes:
Epia M10000
512 MB RAM
Nexus-S DVB card
Gentoo Kernel 2.6.9 with Epia patches
Recent CVS Unichrome video drivers
Recent CVS MythTV
Using OSS emulation
Using XvMC_VLD

If any other info is needed, please let me know...