[mythtv-users] GUI on remote frontend very slow

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Tue Jan 25 22:38:43 EST 2005

My main myth box runs the backend and the frontend that is connected
to the TV.  Sometimes I like to run a remote frontend on my laptop as
well, mainly to adjust settings.  When I do this, the menus are
extremely slow.  E.g. on the first screen that says "Watch TV", "Media
Library", etc, it takes almost a second (and sometimes about 2
seconds) from when I hit the down arrow key until the next menu item
is highlighted.

The laptop has a 2 GHz P4 and a decent Radeon video card with DRI,
so this isn't a case of a slow machine.  And the problem happens
when the laptop and the myth box are connected via 100 Mbs ethernet
through a router.

Playing video on the remote frontend is fine over ethernet.
(Over 802.11b wireless, the network is just shy of being able
to handle the PVR-350 MPEG-2 content.)

I don't know if this is related, but the fonts on the remote
mythfrontend are extremely large, despite the fact that I have
selected "small" fonts and have set the small font point size
to 5.  The X dpi setting is 143 dpi, which is correct for my
14" 1600x1200 display.  The fonts are so large that the letters
are cut off at the bottoms, and some text in the set-up menus
goes off the right side of the screen.  And help text is also
often cut off (can this be scrolled?)

Thanks for any help,

Dan

--