[mythtv-users] Favorite Universal Remote? Buying Tips

Paul Leppert phlepper at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:57:52 EST 2005

John,

Being new to the mythtv environment and having previously gone through
various universal remotes (Philips Pronto, All-in-One, etc.).  I have
found that for general TV watching that my TiVo remote works the best
for me.  It's small and easy to find all the buttons, and it has all
the basic controls (play, pause, record, skip, navigation
(up/down/left/right/select), numbers, etc.).  It is also available via
their on-line store.

I may be off base here (since I haven't started exploring this yet),
but I think with MythTV, the question isn't really about the best
universal remote, but the best remote that is compatible with your IR
receiver.  Since you can fully reprogram everything (including
scripting) via lirc, you should be able to make any remote work the
way you want (with the caveat of the "compatible" statement above).

I'm hoping to use my TiVo remote (I know, I'll probably get flamed for
saying so ;) for basic TV / recording / video watching with mythtv
once I get it all set up (though I don't know if it is even compatible
with the hauppauge IR receiver yet).  I'll then use a more robust one
for non-standard functions (if needed), but that can probably just be
the hauppauge remote.

My TiVo remote is currently programmed to turn my TV on and off as
well as my stereo (as well as my TiVo).  It also controls the volume
on the stereo as well.  Remember, since mythtv is all-in-one (tv,
video, dvd, music, etc.) the need for a remote that handles lots of
different components is reduced.  Obviously, if you are controlling a
lot of home theater-type items in addition to myth (stereo, tv, set
top boxes, lights, curtains, screens, etc.) you may still need it.

In the myth environment, I'm hoping that simpler will be better...

I'd be interested to hear others experience with mythtv and remotes.

phlepper

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:36:28 -0800 (PST), John Smith
<john_smith_45678 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see that Jarod recommends the Radio Shack 15-2116:
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php
>
> Anybody else have a favorite universal remote? CNET
> has a roundup here (updated 7/04):
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7900_7-5114325.html
> The two editor's picks are quite a bit more than the
> Radio Shack remote.
>
> Any tips on selecting a universal remote? I'm just
> getting started and have just looked at the $10 ones
> at Circuit City (which looked like junk).
>
> Thanks,
> John

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.  --  Confucius