[mythtv-users] Re: 3 methods to attempt a kernel upgrade have all failed

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 04:38:23 EST 2005

> > > apt-get install kernel
> > >
> > > You get a list of candidates. Pick the one you want and install it
> > > with
> > >
> > > apt-get install kernel#<version>
> > >
> > > Boot into the kernel (nvidia will not work). If you are happy with it
> > > get the kernel modules you require with
> > >
> > > apt-get install {foo,bar,baz}-kmdl-`uname -r`
> > >
> > > The conflict with older lirc drivers is unfortunate, but cannot be
> > > deal with otherwise, since kernel modules for different kernels cannot
> > > (or better should not) obsolete each other.
> >
> > OK, I did this. I rebooted into kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2 (the new kernel) and ran:
> > # apt-get install {lirc,nvidia-graphics6111}-kmdl-`uname -r`
> >
> > This then returned this error again:
> > Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
> >        file /dev/lirc from install of lirc-devices-0.7.0-1.rhfc2.at
> > conflicts with file from package
> > kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521-0.7.0-42.rhfc2.at
> > E: Error while running transaction
> >
> > I thought what you were saying was that by rebooting into the new
> > kernel version before installing the modules this wouldn't happen?
> > Sorry to be _really_ stupid here, but this just isn't working for me.
> > What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I can post up that will help
> > resolve it?
> >

> OK, I took a gamble and got around the lirc dependency problem by:
> # rpm -e kernel-module-lirc-2.6.8-1.521
>
> That allowed apt-get install {lirc,nvidia-graphics6111}-kmdl-`uname
> -r` to complete. But X windows still doesn't work, so I then ran
> nvidia-graphics-switch 6111 but X still won't start. This message in
> Xorg.0.log:
> NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
>
> When I modprobe nvidia-1_0-6111 I get:
> FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_1_0_6111
> (/lib/modules/2.6.10-1.9_FC2/updates/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidia-1_0-6111.ko):
> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg).
>
> When I grep'd dmesg fr nvidia I got this:
> nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class
> nvidia: Unknown symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE
> nvidia: Unknown symbol pci_find_class

I worked around this in the end by moving away from the nvidia rpms
and downloading the nvidia installer for version 6629. This was very
straightfoward and X fired up beautifully at the end of it. I then did
"rpm -e" on the old nvidia packages that were instaled and no longer
required, so I guess any nvidia upgrades I do in the future will have
to be via their installer.

I was impressed with how well it worked, though, so this should hopefully be OK.

Axel - thanks for you help in assiting me to get this resolved.

Regards,
Phill