[mythtv-users] LED recording indicator

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Tue Jan 25 02:24:28 EST 2005

Well the two most obvious ways are using a spare serial port or a
parallel port.  The most obvious that comes to mind is to take your
average IR blaster and duplicate it with a visible led rather than an
ir  one.

You might need to compile a kernel module with a different name as
well.  For that matter rather than building an IO interface in the
kernel or using the one in lirc you could probably just insert and
remove the module, with the inserted module being "pretty light on" and
the removed module  being "pretty light off."  Come to think of it, if
you can find the kernel code to the parallel port and figure out how to
set lines high(or low) it should be reasonably easy.

Of course with any such hardware development work there is the chance of
frying a motherboard attached to that port, but with care that shouldn't
happen.

The best way might be to look for some simple usb hardware or chip thats
supported that you can coopt for your purpose.  Of course the only
reason this may be best is serial/parallel ports are getting rare these
days.