[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini - one unrelated informal benchmark...

Ian Bishop IBISHOP at BCLC.com
Mon Jan 24 14:55:47 EST 2005

I've used cleaner 5 for Windows and it is a very slow piece of junk.  It
does however work well in an automated video production environment.

Does anyone even care about the Mac/PC comparison anymore?  The only
thing Apple does right these days is marketing.

Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Dave Johnson
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 10:40 AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] New Mac Mini - one unrelated informal
benchmark...

speaking of unrelated benchmarks...

I while ago I was processing analog VHS corporate media -> MJPEG full
NTSC
captures -> MPEG2 DVD-spec'd streams with Discreet's Cleaner 5. My G3
tower
was talking an excruciating 12hrs to process each 1/2-hr clip.  I
decided
I'd setup my 1.1GHz PC to do the same so I could process multiple files
simultaneously in order to make a deadline.

Here are the specs:

PC:
1GHz PIII (256kB L2, 153MHz FSB, 1150MHz CPU Speed/1150MHz L2 Cache
Speed)
CUSL-2 Mobo
Windows 2000 Professional (forget SP number)

Mac:
G3 Tower 266MHz (512kB L2, 84MHz FSB, 292MHz CPU/194MHz L2)
Original Rev. A "Beige" codname "Gossomer" Mobo
Mac OS 10.1.6

Subsystems that were identical on each machine (exactly identical, as
they
each used the same exact hardware):
512MB ECC SDRAM "Crucial" (the Mac didn't utilize the ECC function but
the
CUSL-2 did)
Adaptec 29160 U3 SCSI Controller (160MB/s)
3x 36GB Atlas III 10k M160 SCSI Drive (1 boot/temp, 1 source, 1
destination)
Cleaner 5.0.0 (Mac/PC)

MJPEG source file was cropped, color-spaced correction, and heavily
processed with highest quality settings for a 5-7Mbps MPEG2 DVD-Spec
stream.
The repeatable results show approximate times:

PC: 18Hrs
Mac: 12Hrs

Make of this what you will, but it is CERTAINLY not straight MHz, or
even
bus speeds.

Anyone can argue any section of this totally informal test as invalid.
The
easiest is to claim that Discreet may not have optimzied the code for
the PC
version of the software but I just can't imagine that would be the case.
If
we assume that Discreet abides by the rules of capitolizm, then we have
assume that they put as much effort as attempting to build a quality
product
on each platform.  If this is even remotely true, then the results
certainly
support the idea that the PPC processing platform can really munge
data...
and FAST.

okay, you platform biggots can flame amongst yourselves ;)

-=dave

"THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE ADDRESSEE. IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. ANY UNAUTHORIZED DISCLOSURE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY SO THAT WE MAY CORRECT OUR TRANSMISSION. PLEASE DESTROY THE ORIGINAL. THANK YOU."