[mythtv-users] Tuner not changing channel

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Mon Jan 24 03:16:35 EST 2005

Jason Lee wrote:

> Josh Burks wrote:
> | I've been playing with this a little, and found a different workaround:
> |
> | 1. rename /etc/rc5.d/S86mythbackend to S96mythbackend
> | 2. edit /etc/init.d/mythbackend and change the following line:
> |
> | from
> | # chkconfig: - 86 14

> | # chkconfig: - 96 04
> |
> | This will delay the startup of the backend so that the channels will
> | change correctly.
> | I tried it and rebooted half a dozen times, worked every time.
>
> I had a similar problem.  It looks to me like the backend was starting
> before the ivtv driver was loaded, so I just made sure to load the
> driver early in the init process, and I've not had that problem since.
>
> jason

Thanks to all for pointing this problem out.  I have a different theory
though.  MySQL is not starting up soon enough, and that's leaving Myth
in a weird state.

I recently downgraded by mythbackend to a Sempron 2200 from a 2800 and I
noticed recordings weren't changing the channel from the default which
is 4, even the watch TV tuner was stuck.  This caused me to miss some
TV.  Very annoying.  I noticed if I restarted mythbackend it was able to
change channels again.  I took a quick look at mysql and it has a start
up of chkconfig of 90, exactly the same as the default for mythbackend.

On the faster CPU, MySQL started up quick enough this wasn't an issue.
Since mythbackend is dependent on MySQL it is better to make sure the DB
is up and running before we try and start it.  Moving to a slower chip
made the race condition more apparent.  The fix is we need to make
mythbackend start up after MySQL, not at the same time.  I changed
mythbackend to start at 99 and deleted and added the chkconfig entry and
everything seems to be fine again.

I guess we need to add this to a FAQ or Jarod's guide.

Yan