[mythtv-users] PQ on DLP monitor

Footer footer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 07:56:28 EST 2005

I've been tweaking with xorg.conf for about a week now trying to
improve the picture quality on my DLP monitor ... But maybe I'm
"barking up the wrong tree" ... ?

The hardware involved:

   Samsung HLN 467W - 46" DLP digital monitor
   Samsung SIR-TS360 - DirecTV HD satellite receiver
   eMachines T3096 Media Center PC running Myth on FC2
   Albatron GeForce FX5200P w/128MB DDR using DVI out to DLP monitor
   Hauppauge PVR-250 capture using Svideo from HD satellite receiver

The main question I have is how can I tell if I've reached the limit
of the capture card vs. the video card?  Regular satellite or local
channel broadcasts viewed directly from the receiver (hooked up with
component video) look slightly better than through the Myth setup
which is the FX5200P hooked up via DVI (live TV coming from the
PVR-250 capture).

Viewing Myth at 16:9 pretty much fills the screen except for a very
narrow black bar on the right ... The FC2 desktop fills the screen
completely and is actually slightly outside the frame all the way
around ... and looks pretty good at 10' for a  46" screen.  Maybe I
should take up gaming.  ;-)

My current xorg.conf:

==========

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"

# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
    RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions"
    ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "dbe"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "fbdevhw"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "record"
    Load  "freetype"
    Load  "type1"
    Load  "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option    "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier   "Monitor0"
      VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
      ModelName    "SAMSUNG DLP"
      DisplaySize  1100       620
      HorizSync    30.0 - 61.0
      VertRefresh  56.0 - 85.0
      Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
    BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce FX (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
         Viewport   0 0
         Depth     16
         Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
         Viewport   0 0
         Depth     24
         Modes    "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Group        0