[mythtv-users] Limiting file transfer speed (to combat Epia system lockup)

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Sat Jan 22 06:27:23 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 12:40, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> I've been running into the same issue on transfers, deleting files,
> etc.  My guess is that heavy HD access is "starving" my PVR-350's DMA
> access.
>
> Can someone think of some way to profile and balance out the DMA
> activity?  Perhaps using hdparm, but I'd rather the kernel manage it
> somehow by giving the PVR-350 DMA priority over HD instead of scaling
> back HD performance, since the PVR-350 still needs to be able to write
> to the hard-drive.

You can slow network use by simply using 10TX instead of 100TX.  It'll
be a network module option.

I've found success with under clocking my EPIA-M10000 for lockups.  If I
run it at 80% speed it has no problems with DVD playback.  This is not
to discredit the EPIA boards because my setup is in a hot environment,
with slowed cpu fan speed and early drivers.

Paul