[mythtv-users] Bobdeint is only for playback?

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sat Jan 22 05:27:31 EST 2005

I've been using kerneldeint as a preprocessing filter since MythTV 0.14. So
all video stored on disk is deinterlaced, but only at 25fps (PAL). This is
needed for the S-Video output of the Asus Pundit.

Now using MythTV 0.16 I'd like to switch to bobdeint to up new recording to
50fps for smoother video. But when I simply replace the recording filter
chain for a channel by "bobdeint" it will show the first frame on top and the
second one at the bottom.

Doug Larrick in the first mail about bobdeint says: "Finally, deinterlacing
will not be called on program material that is detected to be
progressive-scan." I tried that by enabling the playback deinterlace and ..
it doesn't work as expected. Old already-deinterlaced recordings are
"deinterlaced" again and bobdeinterlaced still display with the first frame
on top and the second on the bottom (and is bobbing up and down).

The code that does this detection is NuppelVideoPlayer::detectInterlace which
has a note that "The scanning mode should be decoded from the stream, but if
it isn't, we have to guess."

Is it possible to edit my existing nuv files so Myth knows it's deinterlaced
already (aka. no guesses)? Which would make it possible to switch to
interlaced recordings without breaking playback of older ones.

 Henk Poley <><