[mythtv-users] Re: Whats the most stable system at the monent?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:00:27 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:16:55 -0800 (PST), Poul Petersen
<petersp at mail.alleft.com> wrote:
> Question: "Whats the most stable system at the monent?"
> Answer: "The one that doesn't crash"
>
>         But seriously, there is a bit of voodoo magic in all of this. I
> had a RedHat 9 box with a bttv/btaudio capture card that couldn't stay
> up for more than 6 days without an Oops. I eventually replaced
> *everything* except for the capture cards (MB, Ram, HD) and upgraded
> to FC1 and now it's fine. I've got other RedHat 9 servers (NFS, etc)
> that *never* crash. I've even got another RH9 box with software capture
> cards that crashes every now and then, but much less often than
> every 6 days. There are too many factors to boil it down to a "stable
> system at the moment". General sysadmin state machine applies:
>
> 1) Is it working?
>      YES -> STOP
>      NO -> #2
> 2) Change something -> 1
>
> :)
>
> -poul

You forgot secret step 1b) Is there something you REALLY want to watch on?

My Mandrake 10.0 ran steady for a couple months once I quit fiddling
with it and left it alone, the new season of Monk starts tonight so,
of course, my capture card seems to have died.