[mythtv-users] Re: New Mac Mini

Ian hindumagic at telus.net
Fri Jan 21 14:29:04 EST 2005

>When I first read about the Mac mini, I was not convinced that it was
>something that I could use to benefit my MythTV system at home.  I've
>read the thread and it has been discussed that the Mini is not the
>most powerful system out there.  True, it is a sexy looking device,
>but I can't find the justification for paying that much money for
>something that looks cool and will have limited functionality for my
>purposes.
>
>I can see where a Mini-ITX Shuttle 64-bit system can blow this this
>thing out of the water when it comes to purely hardware specs.  Plus
>it's less than half the price.  Here's an example:
>http://techbargains.pricegrabber.com/search_techspecs_full.php/masterid=3758934#description
>
>So if we are stricly talking about MythTV frontends, then maybe the
>Mac Mini is not the way to go.  Maybe people are justifying the +$500
>pricetag purely for the ability to have a system that integrates
>MythTV and the MacOS (including the cool software).  Is that the
>consensus here?
>
>I need some convincing. :-)

That Shuttle system is sweet, but you're conveniently forgetting that it
doesn't come with a CPU or ram.  Add those to your pricetag and see what
you come up with.  :)

Then compare what power you need and how it will look and whether or not
you want a little OSX box and then come your own conclusion.  Plus the
ATI video on the macmini is better.  I'm not a macfanatic, just being
realistic here.