[mythtv-users] Kernel and kernel modules upgrade

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 06:29:13 EST 2005

I want to upgrade my kernel version, but I know that there are some
steps that have to be followed to make sure the kernel modules for
things like nvidia and lirc still work after the upgrade. I found this
at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/55255?search_string=upgrade%20kernel%20;#55255
which seems to make it straighforward:

<snip>
While yum has kernel upgrade install and there are experimental helper
scripts for apt to upgrade kernel and kmdls, the kmdl updates from
kernel to kernel currently need to be done manually.
But that is not really a very bordersome task, if one plugs a few unix
commands together. Say you want to upgrade kernel and kmdls from
2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35 to 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37:

OLD=2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35
NEW=2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37
rpm -qa --qf '%{name} ' \*kmdl\*${OLD}\* | sed -e"s,$OLD,$NEW,g" |
xargs apt-get -y install
</snip>

So If I put run that will it install a new kernel AND the kernel
modules and therefore allow me to reboot into the new kernel with a
working nvidia and lirc? If for some reason it doesn't work, will I be
able to boot into my existing kernel again with nvidia and lirc
working, or is it one of those situations where they won't work with
the old kernel any more (and is therefore high risk)?

Regards,
Phill