[mythtv-users] Nova-t remote with linux 2.6

Mark Howells mark.howells at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:50:43 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:19:59 +0200, Kalle Pokki <kalle.pokki at iki.fi> wrote:
> Mark Howells wrote:
>
> >I'll see if the budget* drivers have been updated from those I'm
> >using.  I was hoping not to use the lircd in favour of mapping remote
> >commands to the event0 interface.
> >

> With the old nova-t I think the infrared support should have been there
> for some time now, but of course you can always still try updating.

That was my understanding too.

> I'm a little confused how you are then going to use the event interface
> if you don't use lircd. I'm not that familiar with the workings of the
> input layer, but anyway lircd uses the event interface and then maps the
> remote buttons into keys the application understands. Were you just
> going to use the remote as a second "keyboard" or something like that?
> But in this case the characters coming from the input layer are probably
> not the ones the application wants to see.

You're correct, but there are a number of published patches that map
the remote to chars suitable for mythtv and mythtv is the only app. I
have on this pc that will use a remote.

However, I'm confused as to what I'm seeing.  When I press the '1'
button on the remote the active terminal window receives a string of
four characters "1111".  However, evtest doesn't see any events at all
on event0.  How can this be?
Also, pressing keys other than 0-9 doesn't cause any events at event0
either - so even using lirc I'd be know better off at the moment... :(

Mark