[mythtv-users] APT-GET Broke IVTV and Myth

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Thu Jan 20 03:14:48 EST 2005

Hi,

> Okay, not sure where is right, but I am gonna post here and if no one
> answers post everywhere else. Just updated my Fedora Core 2
> installation with apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade, which
> installed a new kernal and when switching to that kernal I had to also
> install a new nvidia kernal module, I think whats missing is that I
> dont have the new IVTV kernal module and not sure how to get it, but I
> get errors in dmesg
> right after the update and a restart My box couldnt change channel and
> kept changing guide info but same channel was listed, error read as
> unknown tuner type, noticed when it was working that it was
> discovering my tuners as type 2 so I set it to type 2 in my
> modprobe.conf and could again change channels but still get errors
> about unknown tuner type
>
> hopefully this will be an easy fix, anyone else know what I did wrong?

Below is the real error, tveeprom is not loaded.  It is in lsmod, but if
you look in the logs, there is no output from it.  Seems like it's
broken.

> Jan 19 22:15:30 localhost kernel: ivtv: i2c client addr: 0x50 not found!
> Jan 19 22:15:30 localhost kernel: ivtv: Error -19 reading Hauppauge eeprom.
> Jan 19 22:15:30 localhost kernel: ivtv: Possible causes: the tveeprom
> module was not loaded, or
> Jan 19 22:15:30 localhost kernel: ivtv: the eeprom kernel module was
> loaded before the tveeprom module.

I had the exact same problem last night and spend at least 2-3 hours
looking for the solution.  The tveeprom module is somehow not working
anymore and you need to use the ivtv one.  Add this line
to /etc/modprobe.conf, reboot, and everything should be fixed:
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv

Kind regards,

Mark