[mythtv-users] Noob Question

stephen mythmail at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 19 20:45:36 EST 2005

Rob G wrote:

> Ok well the two receivers that I have do not have a Serial port on
> them.  Or any other type of port other then for input or output of the
> signal.  I guess I will look into making/purchasing an IR Blaster,
> though I was hoping I could do it without one.
>
> Thanx

hi,

i've got a few starchoice receivers (navigo 301, 305, and 401), and none
of them can be controlled via serial port.

however, i bought some parts and built a couple of ir blasters (based on
  http://www.lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html ), and they work great
with my receivers.

if you decide to build your own, i can give you a list of the part
numbers that i used.

on a side note, the starchoice DSR500 has 3 USB ports (1 front, 2 back)
and a 10/100 ethernet port ... here's a picture:

http://www.starchoice.com/images/product/dsr500_large_back.jpg

it'd be interesting to see how they could be used ...

stephen