[mythtv-users] dvd playback via usb2.0

Aaron Hall Aaron.Hall at ingenient.com
Wed Jan 19 16:59:31 EST 2005

I am attempting a MythTV setup where I must have the dvd drive in an
external enclosure, connected to the PC via usb2.0.
I can connect the USB DVD drive, mount and playback (via mplayer), but it is
very choppy, some part of the system cannot keep up. This is true if played
from mythfrontend or command line.

Sadly, if I do the same experiment on a XP box with the same speed
processor, it plays DVDs just fine. I note that even an XP box can playback
via USB1.0 better than my linuxbox.

My limited understanding of DVD playback is that DMA from the DVD drive to
the HD is very important for smooth playback. But I'm not sure how to
accomplish this via USB.

Anyone have any suggestions for smoothing up the DVD playback?

I have a Celeron 2GHz, 256Mram, a pioneer DVD drive, using Fedroa Core 2,
with kernel 2.6.8-1.521, myth .16 driving out to a nvidia GeForce MX400,
with nvdia 6629 drivers.

Thanks,
Aaron