[mythtv-users] Noob Question

aslong at uark.edu aslong at uark.edu
Wed Jan 19 14:46:50 EST 2005

If it's like every other type of cable/satellite box, it will depend on which particular box you have.  Yours might be able to change it via a serial port, but your neighbors might not.  Here's what to check.

1) Does your cable/sat box have a serial port?  If not, you'll likely need an IR blaster
2) If it has a serial port, is it active (there are various ways mentioned in the archives to check).  If so, you're in luck and won't need an IR blaster.
3) If the serial port is not active, call your provider (Starchoice Canada?).  See if they can/will activate it.  You may have to call several times and try to speak with Tier-2 tech support (if it's anything like America).  There is a chance that they will activate an inactive port.  If they won't you'll need an IR blaster.

IR blasters are actually quite cheap.  You can get one shipped to you for under $16US (or make your own for even less).  Check out http://www.irblaster.info