[mythtv-users] Re:Multiple frontends watching the same backend program.

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:22:41 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:55:01 +0000, Adam Auden <adam.auden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:17:49 -0700, Alexander Petkov
> <ap154036 at cue1.umt.edu> wrote:
>
> > Assuming that you want 2 or 3 different frontends to watch live tv, the answer is "yes." You
> > need to have 2 or 3 tuner cards installed, respectively.
> >
> > I believe that's where your limitation lies--the dish network (satelite, correct?). You will need
> > to have 2 sat. receivers in order to change channels independently (was it a 2-LBN dish?).
> > If you have 1 sat. receiver, woulnd't all frontends watch the same channel?
>
> Would it be possible for multiple frontends to stream the same live
> feed, or indeed record a program and watch it remotely at the same
> time?  Surely you need only as many capture cards as *different* live
> feeds required?
>
> A.

You'd think, but my understand is that that is not the way it works.
I'd like to know how much work would be involved in "lying" to the
user, which would solve this.  Live TV is treated entirely seperately
from recorded television.  In my mind, what I'd like it to do when I
select "live tv" when the tuner is already in use is to inform me
what's going on, then take me directly to the recording in progress.
I'm thinking of it as the satellite box my Dad used to have, where you
could change the channel from any tv, but everyone got the same show.

What I believe will happen now is that the second person will get the
tuner already in use.  What I think we're asking for is that the
second person gets whatever the first person is getting.  I don't know
on which side the pause buffers and whatnot are currently on (whether
the frontend does the buffering or the backend).